Monday, July 13, 2009

Gettin Started with Blogging

Okay, okay, okay--- I am finally trying to enter into a variety of social networking technologies. I guess its about time since I am a computer science professor and have been involved in the CS and IT industry in some fashion since the early 70's. I want to see how to integrate my blog site, twitter, facebook, Google tools (like reader), and my old fashioned technologies (email and web sites). As a Computer Science Professor from Graceland University (Lamoni, Iowa), summer is the time to experiment and learn. However, this summer I have a lot on my plate. I am beating my head against the wall trying to get SAMBA set up properly on some "virtual" Linux servers so that faculty, students, and others will be able to access them in all of the ways that they expect to come fall semester. I am almost there, but the UNC addresses for mapping drives from Windows clients is not working. I broke down and purchased the O'Reilly book on Samba for help. I needed something more comprehensive than my Google searches were getting me. I attended a workshop last week on Social Networking for business and that has diverted my attention from the Samba configuration. In a couple of weeks I get to move into a newly remodelled Science Building and I have to do some administrative things as Director of the Ackerley Computer Science and Technology Scholars Program. Seems like summer flies by too fast to get everything done. That is the nature of computer and network technology. Always something to upgrade, manage, and troubleshoot (hardware, software, or mindware).

No comments:

Post a Comment