Thursday, July 23, 2009

Best Sunsets - Southern Iowa

It’s that time of year when I start noticing the sunsets here in Lamoni, Iowa. I first took notice years ago as a visitor who brought kids to the annual “Sports Spectacular” camp on the campus of Graceland College (now Graceland University). Now I live and work here so I get to see them often. I don’t know what it is about this place—the clouds, the climate, the geography, the jet stream, or whatever. Sunsets here can be brilliant with colors that extend all across a sky of clouds and last forever. An Iowa thunderstorm can prepare the sky for a truly spectacular sunset. I have yet to be anywhere that matched this, be it north, west, east or south, on the seas, Hawaii, Australia, Virgin Islands, or elsewhere. I have certainly seen some great sunsets elsewhere, but if I took the time to get my camera they were gone.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with this, the view of sunsets it is unique on itself! You have to come visit and see some of the sunsets here in Kosova!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunsets here in Phoenix are due to smog - yes...Iowa sunsets from storms or whatever it is - tend to be spectacular :)

    ReplyDelete